Sunday 27 April 2014

McKinnie Brothers' Cup

A great afternoon's bowling, the second tussle between us brothers for top dog. Last September Bob won, you can see that result under 'The Standard is Set'. This time it was Andy, by a whisker! Here we are shortly after finishing, the magnificent trophy in Andy's mitts.

Last September I came away kicking myself, knowing I should have done much better. This time I was pretty happy with the result, even though I didn't win. 

Having tossed coins, Andy and me played first, best after twelve ends. At the half way point it was all evens, although twice I saved heavy defeats with a last bowl up close to the jack. Then things started to click for me. I'd been struggling for some time with my grip. Using a clasp grip, I found no matter where I placed my thumb up the bowl, the tendency was for the delivery to be wonky or wide. Going back to a cup grip all those problems disappeared. In fact I was 7-4 up within a further two ends, and 8-7 up as we went into the last end. Of course Andy pulled it back for a draw.

In the next match Bob suffered the same start I had last September, failing to score in the first few ends. That continued right to the last end, 20-1 to Andy. Seemed like that was it. Since 'goal difference' decides a drawn score at the end of the competition, I'd have to have one heck of a result against Bob. In fact a perfect score, making the big assumption I was going to win. Managed 19-3.

It wasn't that Bob was having quite the disastrous day's bowling the scorecards indicate. Had his drives been a fraction more accurate, the results could have been quite different. Sure he's going to be dangerous and out for revenge at the next match in June.

Here are the scorecards...




No comments:

Post a Comment