Monday 13 May 2019

Solo practise


My solo practise uses varied jack lengths, typically odd ends short to medium length, even ends maximum length. The hand played is occasionally changed to reflect real match conditions.

The rink is set up with a jack at each end resting on a beer mat so the jack can be easily put back if moved. Since the maximum length jack would be a distraction when bowling, that's temporarily removed when bowling odd ends.

Over eighteen ends, four bowls per end, I measure and record the result of an end according to each bowls distance from the jack's starting position. The categories are :

  • Within a foot of the jack
  • Within two feet of the jack
  • Within three feet of the jack
  • More than four feet short of the jack

The results are then graphed as shown below to measure. To view the scorecard used, click here.

3 comments:

  1. I think you should still penalize short bowls unless they are within 2 feet or less of the jack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Clarke... In effect I am penalising short bowls by not giving them any score at all, in the same way as long bowls over 3 feet.

      Delete
    2. Given it more thought Clarke, and you're right. I'm now going to score -1pt for anything short by 4ft or more. Hopefully cure my current trend to bowl short. I've updated the text and image above.

      Delete