Sunday 8 June 2014

The Harry Roscow Trophy - June 2014

Mum presents the trophy to the winner, Andrew.
Know I've still got a lot to learn. But how can it be that what little experience I've gained can go straight out of the window. And during one of my most important matches of the season, playing against my brothers for the Harry Roscow Trophy.

The green at Scone Bowls Club is just about perfect. Flat, with a dense mat of grass. In some ways too perfect, since there are few marks to use as targets. The surrounding beech hedges don't help much for a longer range aim. 

Should have stood behind my brothers and, using their experience of the green, followed their line. Instead I played as though every bowl was my first. Never really got a good line throughout. Additionally I was trying to beat their bowls rather than just aim for the jack.

The result was humiliating. Grabbed defeat from the jaws of victory with Robert. Turned a lead of four with four ends to go into two down with two to go. And he was playing against a handicap, suffering from sore ribs.

With Andrew in top form my next match was always going to be an uphill struggle. Got thrashed (again). Unfortunately Robert had to retire in the deciding match after the fourth end.

My brothers' advice was to stop thinking about my game so much and just play. There's a lot of sense in that... from now on I'll just pretend I'm playing a solo practise and seek to get at least two bowls close to the jack.

Here are the scorecards...




No comments:

Post a Comment