Thursday 14 August 2014

That certain story...

All bowlers have that certain story. The one that goes...


And now I've got mine to tell. Here goes...

Two bowls quarter final against a fellow men's B team player. First to 21. Struggling to get the right line. Trailing throughout, after twenty-two ends I was losing 17-10. My opponent just two quick ends away from winning.

Our green has a slope and I'd been bowling to the wide hand. Satisfying when you can get the right line, since the bowl comes into the jack almost at right angles. And the narrow hand is often hard to judge. But the wide hand just wasn't working for me.

As soon as I switched there was a magical change. Much better line and length. Almost every bowl within a yard of the jack. Won every end from twenty-three onwards. Final score 22-17 to me!

Just as well my brother Andrew's sage advice came back to me in time. Try both hands and find what works on the day.

So into the semi final, playing a week tomorrow. Up against serious opposition. Winner of several County competitions and winner of the club's two bowls title on four previous occasions. But if I can play like I did towards the end of tonight's match I stand a chance.

Here's the scorecard. Might get it framed to go in my 'Hall of Remarkable Recoveries'.


No comments:

Post a Comment