Thursday 10 September 2015

RAC Insurance Men's Singles Bowls Championship


Second of the preparation games for Sunday's Final's Day. This time on rink 2, where my second final will be played. Up against mate Kevin, from St Andrews Bowls Club in Biggleswade. We're playing for the RAC Insurance title. Lost 21-15 last year at Biggleswade. Kevin was club four bowls champion last year, and runner-up this year. So I think I'm up against it.

Pretty soon I know I'm up against it. Kevin is bang on line and length from the start. I'm taking my usual early match scenic route to the jack. After nine ends I'm losing 10-4.

At last I get the line and length. Win the next four ends to go 11-10 ahead. As my accuracy improves, Kevin's is waning. A string of threes and shortly after the game ends, 21-16 to me. Kevin heads home with the runner up prize... a bag of tomatoes, string beans and beetroot from my allotment.

That's one of my goals for the year achieved, to win the RAC Insurance Men's Singles Bowls Championship. And a great way to spend an afternoon with an old workmate. Can I hold on to it next year when we play at Biggleswade? Suspect up to now it's down to home advantage. Here's the scorecard.

No comments:

Post a Comment