Sunday 30 October 2016

2016 review

Okay, I know it must be somewhat wearing to live with me. There isn't a single moment when I'm not positive about the future. And that can-do attitude certainly applies to my bowls. So no surprise I'm going to seek out hopeful signs from the car crash that was my 2016 performance.

Having showed steady improvement for the previous three years, 2016 looks like a definite step backwards. Another blank in club trophies, although I made it to Finals Day. A poor performance against my brothers and at County level. A marked downturn in games won v lost.

But a bit more analysis shows a different and more positive story. Had a desperate start to the season, losing my first nine singles matches. At the time I put it down to a new set of bowls. Additionally this was my first season playing in County singles competitions. No surprise that was a learning experience.

The most positive analysis is how I did in club competitions. Out of the six competitions entered, reached one final, three semifinals and two quarter finals. Gone through all the results, allocating competition entrants a point for each round they achieved in each singles competition. Having ranked the results, I come out second equal best result from 29 entrants. Last year I rated sixth. Very happy with that.

Learned two important lessons from 2016...

1. The player who adjusts most quickly and consistently will win.
On the face of it I didn't stand a chance beating family champion Andrew in September, having just lost to Robert and playing for the first time in four months with my old set of bowls on their home green. But an adjustment to my backswing and length and I did win. It's not bowls, conditions, green or anything else that decides whether you win or lose.

2. Use a shorter backswing! 
Although I can get the right line pretty quickly now, at times I've struggled to deliver the bowl accurately. From that last game it appears the long backswing I've been using all season creates an imbalance, making it difficult to consistently hit the line. So a shorter backswing and more of a push style seems a better option for me.

Can't wait for 2017. Got the feeling next year is going to see a step change in success. But then, I would think that, wouldn't I? Here's more analysis of my 2016 performance than you could shake a stick at...

No comments:

Post a Comment