Sunday 21 May 2017

Making contact

Have I cracked it, delivery-wise? Seems that way during this morning's County 2 Bowls Singles second round match. The difference may simply be down to contact lenses.

Playing another St Ives player, fellow B Team and sometime A Team member. Played him once before in a club competition match and narrowly won. So a tight game forecast.

Using my crouching style, aiming point at the far end of the rink. Been wearing contact lenses on and off for about a year, but never used them when bowling. Seems I should have done so much earlier. Wearing spectacles, bent down with my head back, the frames must have inhibited my vision. Seems that's why I found such a distant aiming point difficult. With the contact lenses there's no problem.

My opponent takes an early 6-2 lead. Then I lock on to the line and from end seven win eleven of the next fourteen ends to go 9-17 up. Push delivery working well. Rolling at least one bowl within eighteen inches. Frustrating for my opponent. He's bowling well too, but loses out by millimetres on three ends we measure and can only get single bowl wins.

He rallies for three ends, bringing the score to 14-17. Still getting my bowls close, just he's getting them even closer. My sustained pressure tells and I win 16-21.

At home for my next round. Don't know who I'll be playing, but stand a good chance of getting to the County quarter finals. The status on singles matches and this morning's scorecard are shown below.


No comments:

Post a Comment