Saturday 2 September 2017

The cloth gets it


Something had to take the blame for my abject failure to take home the Harry Roscow Trophy yesterday evening. Might also have binned the groundsman for watering the green immediately before we started our match, but he probably would have put up a fight. So the cloth I use to keep my fingers damp when bowling is blamed because it's too old and not orange.

Decided some time ago I must introduce more orange into my life. My favourite, and such a happy colour. The existing cloth is a bit nondescript and certainly past its best. So here's its last (and first) appearance as it disappears into the rubbish bin. Notice the orange sleeve. Making progress! Have just ordered ten orange microfibre cloths as replacements, to be delivered in time for St Ives Bowls Club's Finals Day.

The Harry Roscow competition? Oh yes. Lost. Badly. Really badly. Wasn't that I was off form, though the standard format of a Friday evening warm up and Sunday afternoon competition might have helped. But that wasn't available, Andrew flying off to Spain Sunday morning. Neither was the standard first to 21 an option since we only had three hours to play three matches. So each was played to fifteen ends. 

How badly? Try 9-21. In fifteen ends. Andrew was on form. Really on form. So on form, I haven't yet met a bowler who could have lived with him. Had success against Robert, who has only bowled about four times this year. With the Andrew v Robert result heading for a big margin to Andrew, we retired early to the clubhouse to battle it out on the pool table. Like to think I had the edge there.

I'll be back trying next spring. Here are snaps of the participants and the scorecards.




No comments:

Post a Comment